Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
2012 Can-Jam Motorsports Rallycross Championship (Read 40029 times)
KDeV

Trenton,ON
Re: 2012 Can-Jam Motorsports Rallycross Championship
Reply #45 - 10/23/12 at 12:03:39

I only attended the final two events of the year but I'd like to thank James, Ross, Doug and all the others who worked to make everything run very smoothly. Provided my work schedule (and brownie points) permits I'll be sure to try and make it out for more events next year.

KDeV KDeV   IP Logged
Tonafun
YaBB Newbies

Reply #46 - 10/23/12 at 20:55:02

I 2nd that! Thank you to James, Ross, Doug, and everyone who helps to make these events as special as they are.
Quinn

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #47 - 10/27/12 at 17:19:37

Here's my video from last weekend's rallycross, and 3 clips at the end of testing out the jump for the Rally of the Tall Pines Golton spectator stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-95ojyPUY

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
rydz
YaBB Newbies

Reply #48 - 11/16/12 at 11:42:26

I know this may be a little bit early but,

Are the dates for the RallyX usually always about the same times of the year?  ie 2013?

looking to get back to a little bit of rally sort of amusement,but dont always have the time for TSD events anymore.

Thanks

Paulo

IP Logged
Andrew Geier
YaBB Newbies

Grabbing groceries
quicker

Kitchener
Reply #49 - 11/18/12 at 05:47:23

Some simple questions:

Is there a membership?

If I bring a cheque to onsite registration, after registering online, will I be charged $50 or $70?

Is there a large likelihood of damage? I do autocross, (never even hit a pylon) so this is an interesting option, for winter fun, just so long as I don't destroy my car.

Is the naturally-aspirated class competitive, with stock Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS wagons? I've seen several Subaru 2.5 RSs, but none from 2005, I don't have a clue about which mods, and whether it's a wagon or not. Help?

Lastly, do you recommend "armor-plating" the underside of the car? Will there be large stones big enough to destroy parts of the under-body? Do you recommend I wear my racing suit with my helmet?

-2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS-

Too familiar? Bah, it's a wagon!
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #50 - 11/18/12 at 09:52:15

rydz wrote on 11/16/12 at 11:42:26:
I know this may be a little bit early but,

Are the dates for the RallyX usually always about the same times of the year?  ie 2013?

There's a provisional schedule posted here

http://www.mlrc.ca/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1353196213

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #51 - 11/18/12 at 16:48:58

Andrew Geier wrote on 11/18/12 at 05:47:23:
Some simple questions:

Is there a membership?

If I bring a cheque to onsite registration, after registering online, will I be charged $50 or $70?

Is there a large likelihood of damage? I do autocross, (never even hit a pylon) so this is an interesting option, for winter fun, just so long as I don't destroy my car.

Is the naturally-aspirated class competitive, with stock Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS wagons? I've seen several Subaru 2.5 RSs, but none from 2005, I don't have a clue about which mods, and whether it's a wagon or not. Help?

Lastly, do you recommend "armor-plating" the underside of the car? Will there be large stones big enough to destroy parts of the under-body? Do you recommend I wear my racing suit with my helmet?

1. Becoming a MLRC member reduces the cost but not required.

2. I don't know.

3. Less chance of damge in the winter, however you can hurt your car if you are not careful. I tore the exhaust of mine one time, but it was easily repaired.

4. Any AWD Subaru can be competitive in Class 3 (NA - AWD), however rally-X is more about the driver and less about the car. I had a 97 Outback and I did okay, but I was routinely beat by a guy in an Outback Sport with a 2.2 (he could beat me by 10s on a 2 min run!). Class 1 guys beat me without AWD. Technique is critical. Impreza's are probably more competitive due to less weight.

5. I recommend a skid plate to protect your oil pan and transmission, but the track is mostly sandy. You will have to be much more careful without a skid plate. The rest of the car is normally fine.

6. You don't need a racing suit.

DC

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Andrew Geier
YaBB Newbies

Grabbing groceries
quicker

Kitchener
Reply #52 - 11/18/12 at 19:40:21

Dave Cotie wrote on 11/18/12 at 16:48:58:
1. Becoming a MLRC member reduces the cost but not required.

2. I don't know.

3. Less chance of damge in the winter, however you can hurt your car if you are not careful. I tore the exhaust of mine one time, but it was easily repaired.

4. Any AWD Subaru can be competitive in Class 3 (NA - AWD), however rally-X is more about the driver and less about the car. I had a 97 Outback and I did okay, but I was routinely beat by a guy in an Outback Sport with a 2.2 (he could beat me by 10s on a 2 min run!). Class 1 guys beat me without AWD. Technique is critical. Impreza's are probably more competitive due to less weight.

5. I recommend a skid plate to protect your oil pan and transmission, but the track is mostly sandy. You will have to be much more careful without a skid plate. The rest of the car is normally fine.

6. You don't need a racing suit.

DC

1: Thanks, I'll do registration for 2013 if I enjoy the December November event. Smiley I guess I'm going to the Tall Pines, then.

2:  That's okay.

3: The sand/flying rocks sounds pretty assuring. If you say it's a bit sandier than gravel/unpaved rock, that's reassuring.

4: I've never been experienced in rallying before, I'm not looking for a win, I just don't want to bring a knife to a cold war.  Grin

5: So, I should raid the scrap metal bin, some more, at work?? Also, how can one attach the skid plate? Bindings (i.e. bolts/screws) or welding? Or...?

6: I like showing off my karting swag.  Wink

New question: To speak with the club, about membership, will the club's leaders be at the Rally this coming weekend? I work afternoon shift, Monday-Thursday, 10 hours each day, and can't come to the monthly meetings on Tuesdays.

« Last Edit: 11/18/12 at 20:22:11 by Andrew Geier »  

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #53 - 11/18/12 at 23:36:00

I grabbed a decent size aluminum skidplate off a fellow that ran rally-X before. I have adapted it to two different Subaru's now. It is just a flat 1/4 plate aluminum.

On my 02 WRX (which would be probably the same as your RS), it is bolted to the bottom of the rad support and to the thing that is mounted on the cross member (I think it is supposed to dampen vibration) right below the power steering lines. It is even has threaded holes in it! On the front I used half of a scrap aluminum door sill from work so that it has a rising lip so that it doesn't get stuck on anything.

It is bolted on so that it can be pulled off to change oil etc.

BTW - there are some rocks and different surfaces on the course - so it is not all sand.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Andrew Geier
YaBB Newbies

Grabbing groceries
quicker

Kitchener
Reply #54 - 11/19/12 at 14:16:20

Alright, I'll be at Tall Pines, and the January event. Smiley

IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #55 - 11/19/12 at 14:23:38

Andrew,  if you just want to join the Club you can fill out the form on the website and your good...

If you want to meet with a member of the executive to ask questions to before joining we will all be around at Pines... 3 of us are competing (James, John and Bruce) and Phil and myself are working.

I am doing VIP and I will be around Friday night handling registration and early Saturday morning. Come find me if you want.

Otherwise see you in January.

Derek.

WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Geier
YaBB Newbies

Grabbing groceries
quicker

Kitchener
Reply #56 - 11/26/12 at 00:56:19

Well, plans fell through. I'll be here eventually, but, not with the Subaru, and not for a little while. The Subaru will be competing, regionally, in autocross championships, though, so I'll still be around (some) of you guys, if you're into that, too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print