Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice for reliable "all" weather/season tire? (Read 5842 times)
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Advice for reliable "all" weather/season tire?
05/09/17 at 14:38:08

I'm considering doing something I've fought against last 10 years - putting all-weather/seasons on my car.

I have 2004 WRX, rarely used nowadays, less than 10k/year.
Both my summers and my winters are at end of their life. I don't anticipate taking the car to the track, and I don't anticipate keeping it for more than ~2 years.

With that in mind, rather than investing into a new set of summers + winters, which I couldn't carry to a new Scoobie (different pattern), I'm contemplating getting a single set of tires for winter & summer.

Any advice / suggestions?
205-16-55, Stock 2004 Subaru Impreza rims...

Many thanks! Smiley

Nikola

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Re: Advice for reliable "all" weather/season tire?
Reply #1 - 05/18/17 at 14:54:40

Nokian now has an all-weather.  If I were really going to go that route, their likely the ones I would look into first.

WWW   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Re: Advice for reliable "all" weather/season tire?
Reply #2 - 07/20/17 at 11:06:01

Thanks; I'll be looking at:
Nordman WR & Nokian WRG3      https://www.kaltire.com/all-weather-tires-comparison/

Kumho Solus HA31            http://www.kumhotire.ca/en/tire/category/car/C5F1760C-6EA0-4D05-AA93-31A4FA36D74...

Hankook Optimo 4S            http://www.hankooktire.com/global/tires-services/passenger-cars/hankook-optimo-4...

Availability of all of them seems low this time of year...

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Re: Advice for reliable "all" weather/season
Reply #3 - 01/05/18 at 09:55:39

FYI/FWIW, For anybody who may be interested, I purchased the Kumho Solus all-weathers from Tires23.com in July. Over the last 6 months:

- The dry asphalt grip in warm weather is squirmier than I expected; maybe because my previous winter tires were worn, and of course the Fusions were summer performance; but I do find the Kumhos to understeer and squiggle more than expected when pushed in even a steady-radius corner

- No issues driving in the rain in summer or fall - but it's not weather I tend to push it in

- Shocking amount of grip in both snow and on semi-icy surfaces over the crazy weather we've been having. They _seem_ to perform even better than my Blizzaks have.  

Overall, I expected them to be pretty good in summer and acceptable in Winter. In reality, I would grade them as very good in winter and acceptable in summer.

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print