Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2004 Subaru WRX - First Rally Car (Read 4361 times)
Momo cars
YaBB Newbies

2004 Subaru WRX - First Rally Car
07/08/15 at 21:41:05

Hey-

Sohail here. I currently run a car dealership in Niagara and have a strong desire to enter the world of Rally sport. Recently purchased a 2004 WRX and spent the past 2 weeks learning a lot about the confusing world of rally sprint, rally cross, licenses, roll cages, helmets, etc.

Bought her 2 weeks ago, she had a slipped timing belt. Changed that and the water pump then turned her on and i've got a really loud lifter on the driver side... next two weeks plan on tackling that issue, then moving onto brakes, etc.

Sad i couldn't make it in time for Black bear rally but hoping to be ready for some events in late august / september! Don't have a clue yet who my co-driver will be but i'm sure i'll figure it out.

IP Logged
GuyLePop

Re: 2004 Subaru WRX - First Rally Car
Reply #1 - 07/15/15 at 15:30:04

Hey

Just seeing this now.  Did you make it to the Black Bear rally?

I was there but I spent most of the day hanging out by myself with the dust and the flies in my wee little Sonic.

Hope you got to see how some of the other Subaru's were set up.  Particularly the Silver car # 11, as they would be quite similar.

VA3GUB
Rally Co-Driver
RallyCross
  IP Logged
donalcrookerallying

facebook.com/donalcr
ookerallying

Cambridge, ON
Reply #2 - 07/20/15 at 09:58:49

Good luck building the car! Welcome to the exciting world of Rally!!

Lots and lots of awesome and very knowledgeable guys on this forum should you have any questions along the way

welcome!

IP Logged
RPRacing
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 07/20/15 at 13:13:08

Fastest way to get rallying:

Read the cars rulebook here:
http://www.carsrally.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=15&Itemid=...

Once you've read through that you'll need to conform to the rules for the class you plan to enter. My guess is Production 4WD (The cheapest way to start)

So you'll need to get a roll cage installed. Plenty of people to contact for that. Few names that jump out:

Ryan Huber - Rally/Race Developments
Frank+Dan Sprongl - Four Star Motorsport
Ronnie O'Brien - O'Brien Motorsports
Stewart Hoo - Canjam Motorsports

You'll then need safety equipment:

Helmet that conforms to the CARS rules
Hans Device that conforms to the CARS rules
Fire Proof race suit that conforms to the CARS rules

Wheels that can handle the abuse that the WRX can give it. (Speedline, Method, Compomotive)

Gravel Tires (Pirelli, DMack, Kumho, Yokohama)
- You'll require a compound of gravel tire that suits the temperatures you will be running in.

Rally Suspension (This really depends on your budget, endless manufacturers out there. Some that come to mind quick are: Hotbits (Peter Reilly) RSSP, Proflex, Reiger, lot's of other ones out there)

Brakes to fit under the rally wheels (2006-2007 WRX 4pot 2pot brakes fit)

Skid Plate
Rear Diff Protector

32mm or 34mm turbo inlet restrictor (Which then has to be sealed by a CARS representative)

Intercom (Peltor, Stilo or Terratrip make good ones)

Or.........

You can just go the cheaper route and buy a car already built:

http://www.mlrc.ca/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1429982434

My personal tip to you:

Start off slow and don't try to run before you can walk. Lot's of people start out with powerful cars and end up crashing in their first few events never to be seen again. Nobody will judge you if you're at the back of the pack for the first few events. Seat time is the only way you will be fast.

Once you start you won't be able to stop!  Smiley

Come on out to the MLRC rallycross or the KWRC rallycross which doesn't require much at all other than a few $, a helmet and a car that drives. You'll meet a bunch of people and get to drive on a closed course.

All the best with the build.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print