Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange Week! (Read 10150 times)
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Strange Week!
06/28/14 at 19:36:02

I started the week with 2 Subaru's and I needed to get rid of one.

I ended the week with 0!

No the WRX did not meet any sort of bad ending. I just finished driving it to its new owner. Hint - he is active on here and lives in Astorville (tiny village SE of North Bay) and that is a pretty short list of people to guess from!!!

It was time to move on. A combination of rust issues, thirst and the rising cost of Premium gas that made me decide to give it up.

If anyone knows of a good 2003-07 one of the following let me know:

- Focus
- Mazda 3
- Mazda 6
- Golf
- Jetta
- ???

As long as its a stick - no autotragic's for me.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Re: Strange Week!
Reply #1 - 06/29/14 at 00:07:06

Hopefully this means I won't be working Pines in a Miata again this year.  For some reason Dave didn't include VW's most reliable product on his list, the always dependable Scirocco.  Honest oversight, I'm sure Wink  

WWW   IP Logged
GuyLePop

Reply #2 - 06/30/14 at 10:30:52

Is it too late for me to guess who bought the Subaru?

I wonder,  I no longer have my Subaru Plated, but if I towed it up to a rally, could it then be used as a worker vehicle on stage?

I don't think I can try this out at Black Bear, since I am competing.  Things to consider.

VA3GUB
Rally Co-Driver
RallyCross
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #3 - 07/01/14 at 12:05:06

I've got an '03 focus wagon... 182k, 2.0L 5-speed, body in great shape... new Michelin long life all-seasons last year (less than 10k on them, rated for 100k).  A/C isn't working.  Trailer hitch (self-powered harness, not powered thru stock wiring).  OE roof racks, cloth interior, OE cd player, power windows/locks.  Donut spare replaced with a full-size rim and tire.  Got it Spring 2013... new brakes all around.  Needs nothing to certify.  Runs around 7l/100km.  Had it up on the hoist two weeks ago for an oil change.  

Looking for $3k, in Sudbury.  Smiley

Planning to sell as I'm going to be in an Outback Sport soon.  Could be available ASAP, just need to give it a good cleaning and pull out the car seats.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 07/02/14 at 19:37:45

dtompsett wrote on 07/01/14 at 12:05:06:
I've got an '03 focus wagon... 182k, 2.0L 5-speed, body in great shape... new Michelin long life all-seasons last year (less than 10k on them, rated for 100k).  A/C isn't working.  Trailer hitch (self-powered harness, not powered thru stock wiring).  OE roof racks, cloth interior, OE cd player, power windows/locks.  Donut spare replaced with a full-size rim and tire.  Got it Spring 2013... new brakes all around.  Needs nothing to certify.  Runs around 7l/100km.  Had it up on the hoist two weeks ago for an oil change.  

Looking for $3k, in Sudbury.  Smiley

Planning to sell as I'm going to be in an Outback Sport soon.  Could be available ASAP, just need to give it a good cleaning and pull out the car seats.  

I love Focus ZX5's - hate the wagons!!!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #5 - 07/13/14 at 19:51:11

GuyLePop wrote on 06/30/14 at 10:30:52:
I wonder,  I no longer have my Subaru Plated, but if I towed it up to a rally, could it then be used as a worker vehicle on stage?

Workers typically work more than one stage, and of course you need to be licensed to drive on the transits. It's a very busy time! There are likely other rules as well, but I've spent the past three days at the track and my brain is tired . . .

Jeannie

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #6 - 08/06/14 at 20:48:55

Well, a productive trip to Ottawa today and the search is over:

Sorry for the crappy cell pics.

Now I have to get some ground clearance for this thing! Anybody know if VR6 Springs would add some clearance? What about the rear - Jetta springs?

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #7 - 08/07/14 at 16:46:21

Very nice Dave - looks like you've good full circle now (from vw to subaru & back to vw)

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #8 - 08/07/14 at 17:03:25

Anthony_T wrote on 08/07/14 at 16:46:21:
Very nice Dave - looks like you've good full circle now (from vw to subaru & back to vw)

Yup, and eventually, I may circle around again!

How is the WRX?

Gotta love negotiations with the owner and his wife sticks her head out the door and says, "I don't care, just get rid of it. " I did really well on the price after that!

There was a clunk in the right front.  Owner said his mechanic said it was a strut bearing. RF coil was broken on top and bottom!  No wonder it's sitting low!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #9 - 08/07/14 at 21:59:00

[/quote] Gotta love negotiations with the owner and his wife sticks her head out the door and says, "I don't care, just get rid of it. " I did really well on the price after that! [/quote]

I bet that's the last time he tries to buy or sell anything with her around...

WWW   IP Logged
Mr. K
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 08/08/14 at 09:56:08

Welcome back to VW!

Is it a TDI? If so, good shocks and a big skidplate are your friends to protect the low aluminum oil pan. An Evolution Import or similar skidplate will bend just enough to let a sharp rock crack the pan, as I found out at Défi last year.

I can't confirm if VR6 springs will increase height, but Bilstein HDs work well to keep it from bottoming. There are also lift kits available that use some sort of spacer.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #11 - 08/08/14 at 11:34:30

Mr. K wrote on 08/08/14 at 09:56:08:
Welcome back to VW!

Is it a TDI? If so, good shocks and a big skidplate are your friends to protect the low aluminum oil pan. An Evolution Import or similar skidplate will bend just enough to let a sharp rock crack the pan, as I found out at Défi last year.

I can't confirm if VR6 springs will increase height, but Bilstein HDs work well to keep it from bottoming. There are also lift kits available that use some sort of spacer.

Chris its a plain old 2.0L gasser. I have a flat aluminum skid plate that I had on my WRX, that I am going to try to adapt. I think I can turn it sideways. I found a used Evolution skid plate for sale north of Toronto, but its $$$$'s.

I will look at the Bilstein's. I have thought about spacers.

I have located a set of Golf VR6 springs cheap so I am going to give them a shot. I need springs no matter what, as the RF is broken.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #12 - 08/08/14 at 11:35:36

Anthony_T wrote on 08/07/14 at 21:59:00:
Gotta love negotiations with the owner and his wife sticks her head out the door and says, "I don't care, just get rid of it. " I did really well on the price after that!

I bet that's the last time he tries to buy or sell anything with her around...

Yea, funny thing is, the guy is a real estate agent. He should know better!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #13 - 08/16/14 at 19:00:00

Well, here it is after a little fixin:

- $85 for used rear Washer/Wiper motor  
- $100 for full used suspension from Golf VR6 (with only 10K km on everything!). Only used the front VR6 springs for now. Keeping the rear springs and all the struts for spares.    
- $28 for new strut bearings (dealer - ouch!)    
- $300 in taxes and temp tag    
- $15 for new RF ABS speed sensor  
- So just a little bit more than $2500 into it.
- Fixed both door mirrors with JB Weld!    
- Goes Monday for safety inspection

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #14 - 08/18/14 at 15:30:33

. . . and the safety is passed!

Dave Cotie