Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1971 Tall Pines article (Read 3403 times)
TomH

1971 Tall Pines article
11/23/10 at 10:00:12

I just finished reading the article about the 71 Pines from the spectator guide and I didn't realize the first event was a TSD. My first Pines was 1974 and was a stage event ( words cannot describe how slippery that night was! ) Was the first year as a stage event 1972 or 73?

IP Logged
bobjim
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: 1971 Tall Pines article
Reply #1 - 11/23/10 at 22:02:57

Yes it was great to read the article about the first TP - certainly brought back a lot of memories.  Thanks to Donna and everyone else at MLRC for including this and also arranging for the display of the many photos from prior years.

I am still very interested in getting a full copy of the list of participants and their vehicles for the first event.  Someone posted a picture of the top of the page listing the finishers - presumably that person has the remainder of the list?  I would be more than happy to pay postage, photocopy charges, fax charges, whatever.  Alternatively perhaps this is something that could be scanned or addtiional pictures taken.

Thanks.

Jim

IP Logged
Yavor
YaBB Newbies

Re: 1971 Tall Pines article
Reply #2 - 11/27/10 at 14:25:41

My first Pines was also in 1974. It was not a stage rally and it was run on open roads although the public was encouraged to stay away while the rally was in progress by traffic controls. This didn't always work and most competitors had a story meeting a "local" head-on. The speed test sections were called "selectives" and had target times which had to be met to stay penalty-free. The target time was based on the legal speed limit less 10%, ie 45 mph. The penalty was the time taken in excess of the target time. The 74 Pines ran from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon non-stop and had 28 selectives. Very few selectives were zeroed. The most demanding selective was Pencil Lake II, some 12 miles long with the road surface consisting of gravel and solid Canadian shield rock.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print