Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2010 Tall Pines, the story from inside Car 41 (Read 8700 times)
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
2010 Tall Pines, the story from inside Car 41
11/22/10 at 21:21:17

Well, the only thing that really comes to mind when I try to describe our experience at Pines is WOW! This was my first Tall Pines as a driver, in the past I’ve done everything from Chief Safety Officer to car 000, 00, and 0 and codriving, but I’ve never been a driver at speed until now. What an experience!

As this was just our second event together on these sides of the car, John and I set our primary goal ahead of time to finish. We also wanted to have loads of fun, and of course to do that you have to go fast Wink We had a balancing act to do, and I think we did a pretty good job, though we still got bitten later in the event and sadly weren’t able to finish. Next time!

I’m going to use the next couple posts to document our rally. I’ve decided to leave in some of the post-stage chatter between John and I if it was interesting and not totally full of expletives (which the video is in general, so consider yourselves forewarned, sorry!) as I always find it fascinating to hear what others are talking about after stages. In our case, it was often John coaching my driving, which I find extremely helpful.

Start Ramp

Going up the ramp in front of that crowd is pretty humbling, especially to hear them cheer you off. I had to get it on video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXYoifcelU

Stage 1 – Upper Old Hastings 1

Our first stage of Pines! Woohoo! No major dramas, getting comfortable with the car, tires, finding a rhythm again. I was still pretty bad at listening to John, who did a great job with the notes, unless I threw him off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEDqeadNefo

Stage 2 – Upper Old Hastings 2

After a service where we didn’t do much other than check over the car, we came back and ran Upper Hastings a second time. More of the same, no drama other than finding Leo’s triangle and losing a pile of time at 3:10 and having to catch the car after lifting for Burton’s triangle at 4:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOySGRXppA

Stage 3 – The Peanut

Ahh, the peanut! Finally I got to drive it in anger, and I only messed up a couple times! My first major mistake was taking the big jump early in the stage (at 0:38) a little too big. I was flat for so long leading into it, and the video doesn’t nearly do it justice, but it was huge! My next mistake was being too fast into the left onto the narrow section, locking up the brakes and stalling the car. It took me a while to get it started again, highly annoying! Near the finish of the stage I thought there was something wrong with the rear end of the car as it felt somewhat wobbly, but I think it had just been the soft ruts pulling the car around because a thorough check didn’t find anything wrong. Getting our “this car survived the Peanut sticker at the end was a nice bonus! Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQXuUpyRf4A

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: 2010 Tall Pines, the story from inside Car 41
Reply #1 - 11/22/10 at 21:49:34

The video doesn't do the Peanut justice. Your camera makes that road look wide and I know how narrow that road really is.

Looks like you were doing well Ryan and John.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
xrian

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Reply #2 - 11/22/10 at 22:09:55

Well done guys & great video to boot!!

Ian Glyn-Jones
VE3HFD
Panach Rally Team
Fonthill, Ontario
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 11/22/10 at 22:29:13

Thanks guys! To continue:

Stage 4 – Old Detlor Spectator Stage

I’m sure the top section of this stage is one of my favourites of the rally, but the lower section is a real challenge and quite rough. John had problems with the notes in here, just as I did two years ago, at least partly because we find the font in the provided notes book too small to read when you’re bouncing so badly. Once we got onto the wider section of Landon Rd things improved a lot and I was very happy with the stage, though John did yell at me at the finish Wink The other major highlight was making a photographer run as we ran wide coming out of Tait Farm, I’d have loved to have seen the look on his face!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzyOFILWGE

Stage 5 – Iron Bridge Spectator Stage 1

For the Iron Bridge stage, we just run the northern, fast section of Landon and Bronson Rds, I love this stage! I had one bobble just before the very fast, 6th gear section of Landon Rd which cost us some time and I suspect caused John to soil himself, but we carried on for a good stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYiAOnBlbQ

Stage 6 – Mayo Lake

This stage combines parts of the rough, narrow Egan Creek stages and the top half of the Peanut, with a ballistic speed run between them. Another spot we got very high into 6th, likely over 180km/h but I wasn’t looking down to check! Through one of the water crossings we got the windshield steamed up a little, and I was just flailing for switches while trying to drive, so I may or may not have roasted us through the rest of the stage. At one point you’ll see me reach up and smack open the roof vent, that was easier than reaching the temperature knob!

Due to Youtube’s time limits, I’ve split the stage into two videos:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PCM9mcS66I

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaISb6ODDBo

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Ben
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 11/23/10 at 00:42:33

Haha, Ryan, I was at the Tait Farm area and took some pics while you make your wide right turn. Too bad I was not those guys who ran away when you turn to those corner... the closet car get to that corner was driven by Pat Richard, there was a sign that at the apex corner but Pat just hit over it and its so close to all those guys/gals who get near to that corner.. I mean really close!!
Let me know if you would like to have your photos, I could send over to you by e-mail
BTW, you do have a great run!!

Ben Grin

IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #5 - 11/23/10 at 13:11:16

Hey John,
Did I hear you call "Block corner"?  too funny
Donna

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #6 - 11/23/10 at 22:58:45

Stage 7 – Iron Bridge Spectator Stage 2

Our third pass over this fast piece of road. We had one very scary moment where the car bottomed on the uphill at the end of the long straight on Landon Rd, which caused the car to skip sideways a little. Normally not a huge deal, except when it happens at 180km/h, then it’s a very huge deal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_NXdCXqko

Stage 8 – Egan Creek

The long Egan Creek stage would sadly be the demise of our rally. Our plan all along was to take things relatively easy in the rough stuff (without slowing to a crawl the whole time anyway) and I think we did that successfully. One of the water splashes in Birch Lake Rd caused the motor to ingest a little water and it stumbled a little, but overall things were good. We reached the very fast section at the end of the stage and thought we were in the clear, when a “Stay R/Cr” bit us horrlbly (7:58 in part 2). Buried in that crest, right on the line it seems, was a very nasty rock that we hit square on with the right front at roughly 160km/h. Apparently a bunch of competitors hit it during recce and did damage to wheels and tires, though we missed it and indeed never saw it, and didn’t change the note. Hitting that rock amazingly didn’t flat the tire, but it blew and bent the hotbits strut. The steering wheel was immediately about 10 degrees left to keep straight, but because the road was smooth it didn’t seem too horrible. At the finish of the stage I got out and checked and noticed there was about 1” less ride height on that side, because the shock shaft no doubt was jammed due to the bent strut body. We limped on to the next stage, pondering our options.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EF0guR52rI

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBrCPfOWPE

Stage 9 – Lower Old Hastings

Having driven the transit down to Lower Hastings, the car didn’t feel too horrible, so I wasn’t entirely sure how bad the damage was. I talked to Martin and told him we had done some damage, but didn’t expect he’d catch us. I was wrong on that one. Sorry Martin for holding you up for a while! You can hear every little bump banging, and the buzz noise is the right-front tire bouncing and causing everything in the car to rattle. It really did feel horrible to drive, and I didn’t dare jump it on any of the huge jumps in that stage. All the banging also rearranged all the lights, making them all but useless. When Martin caught us, I could see better by his lights than by ours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febEZGfRoBM

Stage 10 – Middle Old Hastings

Having limped the last stage, I knew we could limp this one, and then we’d only have the Golton rallycross stage until service. Martin caught us in under 5 minutes which says something about how slow I was going, but the banging over the previous stage and this one had managed to totally rearrange our lights again and I was worried about bending something structural.

(Link coming, Youtube is being dumb tonight for some reason)

End of the story

For the transit up the highway the car continued to pound over every little bump and dip in the highway, and having an Evo sitting on my bumper the whole time didn’t help (if you wanna go faster, just pass me!). John and I spent the drive discussing options. I knew we could limp through Golton no problem, but back at service our only spare suspension option is old stock stuff that almost certainly wouldn’t survive a second, rougher pass through Egan Creek and could quite possibly have been dangerous, causing a severe off if something failed. We possibly could have borrowed someone’s spare suspension, but I’m on such a tight budget I would have a hard time affording to replace someone’s gear if I broke it. The reality of the situation is that we’d be driving in an extremely slow, conservative manner if we were to continue and likely not enjoying ourselves. Given we’re out there to have fun, and the fun had stopped with a bang, there wasn’t much point in pressing on. We stopped at the optional refuel and spoke to our crew, who concurred, and at that point I grudgingly walked our card inside to the organizing crew and withdrew us from the rest of the rally.

Anyway, we had a great time while it lasted, wish it’d lasted longer, but we’ll be back to challenge again. Anyone want to sponsor me with some suspension? Wink

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Do_It_Sidewayz

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/24/10 at 10:14:49

Ryan,

Great videos, and write-up....you even beat Ferd to it!

You should have run Galton, then found us.....i had a full set of suspension you were welcome to use zip-tied to the wall of the trailer....could have easily installed all 4 corners in less than 15 minutes!

Do let me know if you have any suspension budget....

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #8 - 11/24/10 at 10:54:27

Hey Chris, thanks, we'll keep that in mind for the future. Reminds me, i've got a set of your brake pads in my trunk. We were worried ours were starting to get thin and didn't know if you'd be around last service so we borrowed a set just in case, though obviously we didn't need them. I was kicking myself afterwards, but I should have offered to tow you back to service, but I figured at the time you must not have had a spare turbo.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #9 - 11/25/10 at 22:39:21

Last stage's video is now up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tih-64terkc

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #10 - 11/26/10 at 09:26:03

Painful to watch.  The disappointment can be heard in both of you.  Tough ending for sure but there's always next time.
Ma

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print