Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Borrow Ham Radio Rig for TP? (Read 10522 times)
Chris_p
YaBB Newbies

Borrow Ham Radio Rig for TP?
11/10/10 at 14:33:43

I just received my Ham Radio certificate and have signed up to help at Tall Pines. But.. I don't have a radio yet. I'm looking to borrow a suitable rig so I can help out at the rally. Ross W suggested that posting here might be a good place to start.

Experienced TP people probably have a better idea of what I need than I do.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks

Chris   VE3PYE

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: Borrow Ham Radio Rig for TP?
Reply #1 - 11/10/10 at 16:23:39

Chris, I know that the Worker Assignments are not out yet, but once you know where you are working, I would update your post. Some places at Pines a handheld will work and others not a chance. People are more likely be able to lend a handheld.

Mobiles, to be installed properly, have to be hardwired in your vehicle.

BTW welcome to HAM world.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Chris_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 11/10/10 at 16:41:19

Dave

Thanks for the info. I think assignments are being done tonight.

I am not completely new to the HAM world as I held a license in the UK. Mind you, that was about 30 years ago.

I could pre-wire power into the interior of the car with a suitable wire and a 25A fuse (I like to put the fuse things close to the battery, just in case). I have done that for my rally computer and other accessories.

Beside clean power straight from the battery and a good ground, what else would be required for a mobile rig - I will be installing one eventually.

Chris
VE3PYE

IP Logged
Da_Moose
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 11/10/10 at 18:00:19

Don't forget you will also need to find an antenna.  This can be just as hard if not harder to find.

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/10/10 at 19:56:47

If you're considering buying a 'barebones' 2m radio... I have to recommend the Icom V8000.  upto 75w of power output, large out-of-band recieve/scan (including weatherband).   There are a couple of cheaper options out there as well.

Add in a simple mag-mount antenna, and you're good to go.  

If you are considering spending a little more, explore the option of a 2m/70cm mobile... with crossband repeater.  Might not make sense to you now, but in a few years, when you add in a small handheld radio, you can use a low power 70cm handheld to transmit to your car, which transmits to the event repeater... sounds silly, until you're stuck inside your car for a nice daytime event.

IP Logged
Chris_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 11/10/10 at 20:32:15

Cross band repeater! I can see the attraction but funds will limit me to a 2m mobile+ antenna for now.

Commpeting at Targa Newfoundland this year sort of blew the budget!

I don't want to rush the purchase, hence trying to borrow for TP. I know they need more HAM's so I am trying to help if possible.

Chris

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #6 - 11/10/10 at 21:22:58

Chris_p wrote on 11/10/10 at 16:41:19:
Dave

Thanks for the info. I think assignments are being done tonight.

I am not completely new to the HAM world as I held a license in the UK. Mind you, that was about 30 years ago.

I could pre-wire power into the interior of the car with a suitable wire and a 25A fuse (I like to put the fuse things close to the battery, just in case). I have done that for my rally computer and other accessories.

Beside clean power straight from the battery and a good ground, what else would be required for a mobile rig - I will be installing one eventually.

Chris
VE3PYE

I am not an expert, but I believe most rigs have a specific power plug that go with them, so it is hard to pre-wire. The power cable for my Icom has a + and a ground wire that both go back to the battery. Both the + and ground are fused within a foot of the battery.

I was lent a radio at Pines when I first had my HAM license by a fellow that I didn't even know! It was a 2m mobile rig that was wired to use the cigarette lighter. This is not a normally considered a good idea, but it worked fine and I returned the radio Sat. night

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Bruce VA3BRS
YaBB Moderator

Scarborough
Reply #7 - 11/10/10 at 22:48:08

I might have a 2 metre hand held you could use, the only  thing is that the battery is no good and it has to be plugged in all the time to the charger. And if you have a 1/4 wave antenna I have the adaptor to put it on the radio as well.

Bruce
VA3BRS

IP Logged
Chris_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 11/11/10 at 09:58:02

Thanks for the kind offers and suggestions. I have managed to arrange to borrow a radio and antenna so you will be hearing me on the air during the event.

Chris, VE3PYE

IP Logged
jimmy
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #9 - 11/11/10 at 10:40:28

Chris-

Thanks for coming out to work.

Bring the manual for the radio !

Don't know how much experience you have.  This is a helpful intro to read over before you get there:

http://www.tallpinesrally.com/workers/documents

It's hard to bring too much stuff (even if you are in a Miata).  Plan on being out in the woods most of the day (food, water, TP, etc.).

See you there, and welcome.

press on,

just a poor, dumb, Michigan navie
KC8YHT
jimmy
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #10 - 11/11/10 at 12:29:51

jimmy wrote on 11/11/10 at 10:40:28:
Chris-

Thanks for coming out to work.

Bring the manual for the radio !

Don't know how much experience you have.  This is a helpful intro to read over before you get there:

http://www.tallpinesrally.com/workers/documents

It's hard to bring too much stuff (even if you are in a Miata).  Plan on being out in the woods most of the day (food, water, TP, etc.).

See you there, and welcome.

press on,

This should probably read "It's hard to bring too much stuff (Especially in a Miata)."   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print