Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RSO Rally-X Series Cancelled - Why no interest? (Read 14305 times)
Richard H

RSO Rally-X Series Cancelled - Why no interest?
06/24/3 at 17:20:59

As you may know, the Rally-X series was cancelled this year due to a low number of confirmed entries. The Organizer (Pete Gulliver) is now trying to determine what caused this and I thought it would be nice for people that may have competed in previous years to voice some reasons for the low interest this season?

Some of the reasons I have heard are:

"The course is too hard on the cars if you are driving your daily driver."

"Bancroft is too far away"

etc...

If anyone has any thoughts, it would be great if we could figure out a cause for this so we can have another Rally-X series next year. It's a great intro to performance rally.

IP Logged
PAddy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: RSO Rally-X Series Cancelled - Why no interest
Reply #1 - 06/24/3 at 17:49:04

Hard to justify 6 hours of drive/tow time, for so little seat time.

Find a dirt pit closer to T.O., and you've plenty more confirmations i'd imagine.....

IP Logged
Richard H

Reply #2 - 06/24/3 at 18:21:09

On average you got about 6 runs per day, which wasn't much, but I felt the experience was well worth it. You'll never get much more seat time than that in any rally-x event due to the number of cars that typically enter.

Maybe next year the series could have one weekend in Bancroft and one in Toronto and maybe even one somewhere in between? I'm sure Pete is saying "Yikes thats a #ell of a lot of work to set that up!", but maybe it's a solution.

Maybe a winter event is needed too. Mosport would be perfect for that. Although, the cost would be significantly higher.

What about not creating a series but a set of individual events (1 winter, 1 summer) or even just one weekend in Bancroft instead of the All or Nothing approach we're taking now?

IP Logged
DaveP

Reply #3 - 06/24/3 at 21:32:36

PAddy wrote on 06/24/3 at 17:49:04:
Find a dirt pit closer to T.O.,

That's the Holy Grail of Rallycrossing.

Unfortunately, over the years, rallycrosses/autocrosses have been forced to move further afield. Golden Horshoe pit owners are increasingly under the gun by local environmental groups and residents who want to shut them down. The pit owners are loath to do anything that might attract more attention to their operations. Running a rallycross on a weekend afternoon when things are normally quiet, frequently upsets any nearby residents. And secondly, lets face it, there is nothing in it for the pit owner. The sport can't afford to rent a pit for a day. Lastly, we've encountered concerns about damage to the pit access roads and or equipment. These are just some of the arguments tossed at us by pit owners in past years.

Dave

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #4 - 06/25/3 at 10:51:28

For me, the main reason holding me back from entering was roughness.  I didn't feel like it would be worth the potential problems all the rough stuff would bring.  Distance could also be a factor, and would certainly be nice to get one coser, but for me, roughness was the main reason

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
dubrally
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 06/25/3 at 16:57:50

Hey Rich,

This year there were a number of reasons for me.

1. The pit was just too hard on my car. I needed to save it for perf events. I was biulding a car to compete with though but it wouldn't have been ready till the KWRC events.
2. I/MCO was organising the 6th event and figured that I wouldn't qualify for the overall anyhow so the first two events were a write off for me.
3. The perf sched is tapping my wallet as it is and I figured I'd rather run 1 perf event than the entire series this year.

A few comments:
Seat time is a little low but in order to make the series financially viable the number of entries seems appropriate.
Travel time, not a problem for us over here in Ottawa although I didn't see many of us on the entry list.

I never heard anyone say that they were displeased with the seat time they got, I'm also sure you'd never hear anyone grumble about too much seat time.

Winter events, WAKE UP EVERYONE! MCO hosted an event last year which was a huge hit, advertised at many different locations including the past two years RX series competitors each got a personal e-mail. Doug Logan, Tibor, Eric, and Richard made the trek from afar and I think truly enjoyed themselves. Here's a pump for the series we will be running this year.... At least three events perhaps more we'll see.

IMHO this boils down to busy lives and weining dedication to the sport. There are a few people who are extremely dedicated to doing all the work to make these events happen, and competitors tend to come and go it's as simple as that. As organisers if we don't hit everything right on the money we miss the boat. I sincerely hope that we get sorted out whatever the problem is as this is the stepping stone that our rally scene needs to enhance performance rallying both regionally and Nationally.

My 20 bucks worth.

warren

Warren
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #6 - 07/05/3 at 20:43:12

I volunteered at 1 Rally-X last year just to scope out the course.  I considered it safe enough for my daily driver and I was going to enter every event this year.  However I'm away at University now and won't be back until next year.  So if the series is back in 2004, you're guaranteed my entry.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
ootpek
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 07/07/3 at 08:58:16

The 7 hours total commute is what has always kept me away.  Bancroft is just too far for me in the far west end of Toronto.

IP Logged
Schwabe
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 07/07/3 at 10:36:42

I was going to run the whole series again this year, and I am quite disappointed that we couldn't find enough entries. I would agree that the main reason is probably the long commute for most of us. If we could find something closer to TO, I'm sure we'd have a lot more entries. Realize however, that more entries means less seat time!
Quote:
Winter events, WAKE UP EVERYONE! MCO hosted an event last year which was a huge hit, advertised at many different locations including the past two years RX series competitors each got a personal e-mail. Doug Logan, Tibor, Eric, and Richard made the trek from afar and I think truly enjoyed themselves.

Oh boy, did we ever!!! Grin We're sure to come back this year, though the drive up there is even worse than Bancroft... Sad

IP Logged
Richard H

Reply #9 - 07/07/3 at 10:51:23

What does everyone think about trying to increase sponsorship of the series next year in an effort to attract more competitors?

I think having some good prizes (incentives) for people to compete could help to ensure stable entry numbers. I think people are finding it tougher and tougher to justify beating the hell of their cars for nothing (however fun it may be!Smiley.

I know this just drops back on the shoulders of the organizers, but I think that the series has a lot of potential and that it's an important feeder series to performance rally.

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #10 - 07/09/3 at 13:54:56

It's taken a while for me to respond but I do have some thoughts.  

I competed in the entire series during it's inaugural year though not at all last year.  For those of you that were not there that year the series was comprised of only three events.  

I found the series it to be very enjoyable.  Everything was well thought out, well executed and welcoming to beginners.

The reason I did not compete last year was because I  could afford to compete in a series comprised of 6 events.  If I was to participate one weekend I would want to be able to compete at all of them.  

In my mind - one of the reasons for holding such a series is 1) to attract new competiors into the sport and 2)  offer a performance oriented event which caters to smaller, beginner class budgets.  

A shorter rallycross series is both more affordable from a registration point of view AND (for those concerned about their daily drivers) not as hard on the cars.  

Being able to compete in shorter series, in my opinion, is more interesting and more worth my while, then participating in one or two events of a larger series.

As for the concerns mentioned by others.  I had no car trouble whatsoever after competion in the three 2001 rallysprints in a 1998 Mazda (I even got 175000km out of my shocks).  I found no out of the usual dings, scrapes or rust after the following winter.  

As for distance concerns -- I'll drive from North Bay for a Monday night navigational rally -- comparitively, the Bancroft rallysprints were definatly worth it.  

My advice - aim the series at those who can't afford OPRC events - condense the series, keep it short and as a result it registration will be cheaper and competing will be less hard on the cars.

Hope this helps and hope to see it back up and running next year.  

Thanks, Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
Richard H

Reply #11 - 07/09/3 at 14:21:28

I had very similar thoughts.

For many, it's an all or nothing thing to enter a series and if the series is too large it costs too much. That's $300+ for gas, 1 nights accommodations each weekend (for some), tires, wear and tear, etc... Gas alone would cost me $100 a weekend at least. For those needing a room, there's another $50-100 per weekend. You don't want to know what last year cost me (but that was my own darn fault!Wink

What we need to keep in mind is that it's still pretty cheap (relatively speaking) to compete in a rally-x compared to a regional event. It's really not going to get any cheaper either no matter what we do. Actually, it's THE cheapest variant of performance rally!

I wonder what the feedback was from last year as to how many events competitors wanted in the series? Was the 6 events requested by competitors? I always thought 6 was a little high considering it's tough to find free weekends in the summer to begin with. Maybe we should hold the events in the fall or early spring when people have more free time?

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #12 - 07/10/3 at 17:43:06

I'll second that motion.
The events are quite affordable if you have the self control to only do one or two.  As a series, taking into account hotel, gas and potential repairs it starts climbing.  

2 weekends/4 events, I could see it.  Especially if the dates consider when it is ideal for the OPRC crowd.

When is better for you people relative to the OPRC events?  (after you put your car in the swamp at Silverstone or before?)

Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #13 - 07/17/3 at 16:08:19

Schwabe wrote on 07/07/3 at 10:36:42:
I was going to run the whole series again this year, and I am quite disappointed that we couldn't find enough entries. I would agree that the main reason is probably the long commute for most of us. If we could find something closer to TO, I'm sure we'd have a lot more entries. Realize however, that more entries means less seat time!
Oh boy, did we ever!!! Grin We're sure to come back this year, though the drive up there is even worse than Bancroft... Sad

The MCO winter RallyX was an excellent, safe, venue to try that whole left foot braking thing in a FWD auto.  So, even if you aren't trying to be really competitive (me) the seat time was well worth the bucks.  It sure saved my butt more than once that day -  it really works well and is not difficult.  I got 15 runs in during the event, on three course configurations.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Richard H

Reply #14 - 07/17/3 at 16:45:06

Also, FourStar Motorsports is having a track day at mosport that many of you may be interested in. I unfortunately don't think I will be able to attend. I went to the last one and it was amazing!!!

Visit http://www.fourstarmotorsports.com for more details.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print