HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket odometers (Read 4071 times)
A_Spider
YaBB Newbies

Aftermarket odometers
04/16/3 at 12:15:26

After monday nights rally Chris and I have been looking for an extra odometer as the placement of the Stock odometer is difficult for either of us to read with out adjusting the angle we are looking at it. Are there such things as digital odometers that A: run off the existing wiring? B: Run idependently off of Reed switches eg. Bicycle Speedos (I would guess these wouldn't be accurate) C: Anything at all??? cost is an issue as I assume Some of those computer systems I saw probably have several odos and speed sensors etc.

Any help would be appreciated

2476101   IP Logged
RallyJake
YaBB Newbies

Always taking the
unbeaten path

Re: Aftermarket odometers
Reply #1 - 04/16/3 at 15:10:19

Hey,
Glad you are hooked and looking forward to more.
I guess seperate odos depend on how much you are willing to spend.  I know we were in the same shoes when we started and where looking for a solution as well.  We even thought about another dashboard with odo for navigator, but didn't fully go for it.
Now we are using a Terra, but like you probably know, it isn't a cheap option.
However, we did use a bike speedo, running of a sensor.  But after a while they burn out (sensors that is) at least in our case.  It's either that or we just knock the whole sensor right off.  And you also have to make sure you glue the magnet to the inside of the rim.  It might work of a speed sensor, not sure never tried it, but it's worth a shot.  All I can say is that its a cheap 15$ alternative.
Hope that helps at least a bit
Cheers
Jake

IP Logged
JohnnyFantastic
YaBB Newbies

I like Ladas

Reply #2 - 04/16/3 at 23:56:04

Hi.  I've got a Brantz tripmeter that's fantastic for navigational rallies.  The one we have was put in by FourStar, so I don't know how much trouble it would be to install it yourself.  It's running off of one wheel sensor per rear wheel, and we can switch between them if one breaks.  Might be out of your price range though... I believe the Brantz International 1 is around $200 (could be wrong).

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 04/17/3 at 04:43:50

I use this odo:  http://www.aminnovations.on.ca/twoam/products.html
It aint pretty, but it works...It's cheap ( i think I paid $300, and it's built by a local rallyist (Andrew Miller)  It's tough and several people have this odo who run performance rally as well.  It's definitely not ideally suited to road rally, however I have found it to be reliable and at least adequate.  Sometime when you get better you could upgrade to an alfa or something, but I  at least have no problems with the quantam.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Yavor_Klostranec
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

ON
Reply #4 - 04/17/3 at 12:03:32

I've been using the RLC Cub5. It's programmable and simply wires into the vehicle speed circuit. Nice red LCD display that's visible both day and night.  Retails at $166 Canadian. The features include:

Dual Counter or Counter/Rate Indicator
39mm x 75mm
8 Digit, 0.46" (12mm) LCD
Reflective, Yellow/Green or Red LED Backlighting
Front Panel Programming
Decimal Points and Scaling
10 - 28 VDC Power
Up to 20 KHz
NEMA 4X/IP65

For around $10, you can buy a mounting box at Radio Shack if you don't want to cut into your dash.

Website www.redlion-controls.com
You can mail-order these from Digi-Key, 1-800-DIGI-KEY.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print