Send Topic Print
New Here (Read 13699 times)
86b
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Here
03/31/3 at 03:40:40

I'm sorry i don't know if i should be asking here...
But i want to try this exciting sport... rally
I don't know where to start ... if anyone can help me... please do...
Is there any website that has information about Canadian Beginner Rally or anything that type please let me know...
Also is there a website that states the modifcation needed to be done to a car to make it rally ready?
Thanks

IP Logged
PAddy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: New Here
Reply #1 - 03/31/3 at 07:38:46

IP Logged
86b
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 04/01/3 at 00:27:21

Thankyou very much... Cheesy

IP Logged
RallyJake
YaBB Newbies

Always taking the
unbeaten path

Reply #3 - 04/01/3 at 15:29:28

Hey
Welcome to the sport.
I guess that depends on the level you want to do.  I think that link is great for performance level.  Although I'm not 100% sure.  If you want to try some road rallies they are great too.  Mind you they are on open roads, but still loads of fun and challenges for the navigator.  It is also a great way of starting, so I think.
I guess getting involved also depends on where you live.  We started off in the Mini Rallies and just kept on moving towards the road rallies.  The great think I noticed about the minis is that they get harder each month, kind of prepering you for the great things to come in the future.

Well that's my 2 cents
Cheers
Jake

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 04/01/3 at 22:17:33

Why not try one of the club's Mini Rallies?  It's a great way to start out and meet some fellow rally enthusiasts.

http://www.mlrc.ca/events.html

WWW   IP Logged
86b
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/03/3 at 17:55:21

RallyJake wrote on 04/01/3 at 15:29:28:
Hey
Welcome to the sport.
I guess that depends on the level you want to do.  I think that link is great for performance level.  Although I'm not 100% sure.  If you want to try some road rallies they are great too.  Mind you they are on open roads, but still loads of fun and challenges for the navigator.  It is also a great way of starting, so I think.
I guess getting involved also depends on where you live.  We started off in the Mini Rallies and just kept on moving towards the road rallies.  The great think I noticed about the minis is that they get harder each month, kind of prepering you for the great things to come in the future.

Well that's my 2 cents
Cheers
Jake

Thanks for your answer...
Well i'm just a beginer and i do enjoy sliding around during winter times... so i thought why not try some winter rally...
Maybe winter rally is a bit too advance for me... what exactly is road rally??
I'm located in Toronto... is there any rallys near Toronto??

IP Logged
RallyJake
YaBB Newbies

Always taking the
unbeaten path

Reply #6 - 04/04/3 at 11:40:31

Hello again,
Like I said since you are a beginner it would be best to start off in the Mini Rally series.  There always is somebody to tell you what and how to do everything.  Very friendly atmosphere.  The next one will be on a Monday April 14 at 8pm, but you should get there about 6 or 7 so you can register get some info and get ready.  Just bring a navigator, pen/pencil, ruler some light source inside the car and off you go.
As to Road rally.... it's like a rally, run on public open roads with instructions that your navigator tells you where to go and which average speed to keep on time.  Not above speed limit, by the way.  It is timed and you have to try to keep your average speed so you make it to a checkpoint on time. If you get there too early or too late you will loose some points depending on the time difference from your ideal time.  You never know where a checkpoint can be so you try to stay on time most of the time.  If you want to try that there will be one on Saturday April 12 at the Big Apple I believe.
Hope that answers some of your qustions.
Oh and if you are in TO, there is a few clubs there.  Like MLRC, which I am a member of, just too bad I can never make it to meetings....but I'm trying to.
Cheers
Jake

IP Logged
A_Spider
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 04/05/3 at 13:07:28

I'm also new here but looking forward to the 14th.. I have been wondering in the beginner class as discribed makes total sence and was what I expected but are there any requirements of the cars?  (I don't expect roll cages) IE fire equipement, etc.

2476101   IP Logged
86b
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 04/05/3 at 17:23:31

RallyJake wrote on 04/04/3 at 11:40:31:
Hello again,
Like I said since you are a beginner it would be best to start off in the Mini Rally series.  There always is somebody to tell you what and how to do everything.  Very friendly atmosphere.  The next one will be on a Monday April 14 at 8pm, but you should get there about 6 or 7 so you can register get some info and get ready.  Just bring a navigator, pen/pencil, ruler some light source inside the car and off you go.
As to Road rally.... it's like a rally, run on public open roads with instructions that your navigator tells you where to go and which average speed to keep on time.  Not above speed limit, by the way.  It is timed and you have to try to keep your average speed so you make it to a checkpoint on time. If you get there too early or too late you will loose some points depending on the time difference from your ideal time.  You never know where a checkpoint can be so you try to stay on time most of the time.  If you want to try that there will be one on Saturday April 12 at the Big Apple I believe.
Hope that answers some of your qustions.
Oh and if you are in TO, there is a few clubs there.  Like MLRC, which I am a member of, just too bad I can never make it to meetings....but I'm trying to.
Cheers
Jake

Hi,
No offance to anyone, but from what you discribe road rally... it seems boring and not really racing since you have to stay in the time limit given Undecided
Is there something more exciting, off road, and racing... but still is for beginners? ???

IP Logged
RallyJake
YaBB Newbies

Always taking the
unbeaten path

Reply #9 - 04/05/3 at 18:53:57

A_spider,  no there is nothing special needed for the car.  All you need for the Mini or road rallys is driver, navigator, odometer (stock or alternative), lighting inside the car if it is at night, maybe some additional lights on the car for night events (mind you they have to be wired to your high beams), and willingnes to go for it.

Sorry if you think it sounds boring, but trust me it isn't all that bad.  There might be some slow sections, but it's all worth it.  As far as I know there isn't anything out there that will let you 'race' on open public roads above the speed limit or anything in that sense that will be legal.  If you want something more challenging, wait for the winter series next year.  But going to a road rally will prepare you and the navigator for the fun to come.  I believe in the summer they organize Rally sprints, which are on the gravel pit, where you test your skills against the clock.  I haven't read the rules that closely yet, but there is always some limitations that depends on your car.  If it's stock lower speed limit, and I believe, but don't quote me on that that if you go with a roll cage and 4 or 5 point harness its a different story.  Not everybody has all that money to throw into the car, but at least you can work your way up.
Oh, I was mistaken previously about the Big Apple..  The rally on the 12th will be just north of Cobourg, sorry for the confusion, all info is on the web page.
Cheers
Jake

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #10 - 04/05/3 at 18:57:48

This very VERY important to realize:  Road rallying IS NOT A RACE!  It is on open roads and therefore one must behave accordingly.  Having said that, the winter rallies in the middle of the night in the middle of winter have significantly higher speeds and are very challenging.  Don't dismiss road rallying just yet, it is a lot of fun in it's own right!  I have aspirations of performance rallying and I love to drive fast, when warranted, but I still love road rallying, it is another set of challenges and I think it greatly emphasizes team work.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
A_Spider
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 04/05/3 at 23:29:59

The Ontario traffic act states that ANY racing on public roads is illegal. and can result is severe fines.. Hence the need for organizers of these mini rallies to set rules that inforce those laws also. I agree this should be an excellent oppertunity to gain team work and experience before setting off onto closed road races.

2476101   IP Logged
Tisha
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 04/06/3 at 13:50:47

Hey boys,

Just wanted to put my 2cents in.....I started the mini rallies last year....and darn, are they ever fun.  They really test your driving and navigating skills as well as working together as a team.  I am quite proud to say that last year I came in 9th  Grin  and this year....we are going for #1 baby! hehehehee.  Trust me....it is a great night out...but don't forget your watch(like I did once)..lol.

Tisha
  IP Logged
86b
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 04/07/3 at 01:28:56

Thanks for all the replys Wink
I'm aiming to try the Rally Sprints as RallyJake has mention before... where can i find as much information as possible for it? Like what mods need to be done to the car?
Also what would make a great low buget rally car? Undecided
I was thinking of the Toyota Celica All Trac or Mazda 323 GTX...
BTW what do you guys drive? Just curious...  Smiley

IP Logged
RallyJake
YaBB Newbies

Always taking the
unbeaten path

Reply #14 - 04/07/3 at 10:51:21

You should be able to find info on mlrc.ca website about the rallysprints. I think the link would be www.rallysprint.ca to be honest with you.  As far as the mods go read the rules and figure it out from there.  But you can very easily use a stock car.
All Trac not a bad idea.  Expensive in parts...... trust me I own it, and rallied it,  now we also have a Sub Legacy 2.5 GT and it feels really nice.  I like the Alltrack since it holds to the road very well, but haven't rallied it since I put some mods to the car, I think I still might need some work on it.  However, I'm hoping to get it to some rallies, if not I'll try to get it ready for the sprints, and in worst case scenario there is always the subaru.  Mazda would be nice too, but I can't say too much about it, never had a pleasure of pushing it around the corners.
Best of luck to you, but as far as I know rallysprints still revolve around the concept of ralling, and don't get me wrong but the best place to learn everything would be the Mini's.  
Cheers
Jake

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print