HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RSO Ham radio course? (Read 5266 times)
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

RSO Ham radio course?
02/25/3 at 22:14:02

Will it be offered again this year?  If not, can someone break down exactly what I would need to take the test, and how much it would cost to get started?

Thanks!
John Vanos

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Re: RSO Ham radio course?
Reply #1 - 02/26/3 at 11:11:47

John/all,
We just started a thread on this on the MCO board.  A bunch more MCOers are keen to get a radio ticket.  It is not regarding the RSO course, but we are going over the costs, benefits, and how sexy that big-ass antenna will look on your car!  One of our HAM operators, Mike Kelly (ve3ffk) is a RAC examiner and he will help us out.  

The thread is located here:
http://www.mco.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1443

Bottom line: Book is $40, test is free, license is good for life, radio cost anything from used (<$300 no doubt) to a basic 2m radio out of the box maybe $300-$400. RSO course fees probably cover expenses.  Sounded like a good course from what I heard.

Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
atomic-z
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 03/19/3 at 19:39:59

where can i/we can a hold of this stuff in the west toronto area? i'd rather go out to a store and buy the textbook than order it online, and testing locations would be good to know in advance as well...

and is having a HAM radio installed on your (rally) car a highly advisable item when you're first entering the scene? or is it more of an expert thing that isn't really useful until you really get into competition...

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 03/19/3 at 21:42:13

I bought my book at radioworld at steeles and the 400 i beleive...I'm sure someone will tell you where to do the exam.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #4 - 03/20/3 at 09:47:33

Books and radios are also available at Durham Radio in Whitby off the 401 at Thickson Dr.  

They have offered free courses in the past given by a retired highschool teacher.

There is also the self study route for those with a good memory - just download the actual test questions and answers at:  

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/sf01709e.html
no book needed!

WWW   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #5 - 03/20/3 at 09:51:10

Sorry, try this one - you'll skip the searching

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/sf01900e.html

Anthony

(there is a test generator on this site too)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print