Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disabling Airbags during Winter TSD (Read 4384 times)
Brian_H
YaBB Newbies

Born Scooby Wild!

Ontario
Disabling Airbags during Winter TSD
12/29/2 at 16:38:34

I don't know if this is illegal or foolish, but I'd like to know whether it's possible and reasonable to disable the driver and passenger airbags while competing in a winter TSD rally. I understand the airbags are dangerous to the occupants if deployed during a low-medium speed collision and replacement as well as clean-up are costly. I've registered for two winter events so far and don't want an innocent slide into a hard snowbank to ruin my day and my insurance report. I know of course that vehicle collisions, hitting trees, etc are also possible. so I'm looking for advice as to the necessity of having the airbags active for the rally. Your thoughts regarding the legal, and safety issues about this question are very welcome.

Thanks,
BH

Toronto Subaru Club Member
Chief Control Marshal - 2002 Voyageurs
TSD Rally Driver
KWRC - Competition Director
Performance Rally Enthusiast
(WRC/SCCA/OPRC)
Looking forward to some snow surfing!
  IP Logged
RallyJake
YaBB Newbies

Always taking the
unbeaten path

Re: Disabling Airbags during Winter TSD
Reply #1 - 12/30/2 at 14:18:13

Hello Brian
I'm not too sure if it is such a good idea to disable the airbags.  After all you need quite a forcefull impact in order to set the sensors off to activate the airbag.  I've been in a situation where I've been rear ended and pushed into the car in front and the airbag didn't go off, mind you it was minor and mainly the hood and the front grill hit the bumper, but still it didn't go off.  Now I'm not sure what kind of a risk you would be running by hitting a snowbank, but I would be more concerned with what's hidding in that snow, like a branch that can puncture your radiator.  I know some people disengage their ABS, although I like to leave it on and at least I get the feel of how slippery it really is.  I guess just leave the airbag connected and just stay on the road.
I guess the best option would be to ask all those that went offroad in last years YWRS and see if they had their airbags disconected.
Hope that shines at least a little bit of light onto your dilemma.
Cheers
Jake

IP Logged
Richard H

Reply #2 - 01/10/3 at 12:57:48

If the air bags go off, you definitely will need them. I've been rather harsh on my car on numerous occasions and they have never gone off. Plowing head on into a snow bank, catching some air and landing hard or sliding sideways into a snowbank will not set off the sensors. Centering on a tree or telephone pole will, and you will likely be glad you had them working. If you have side airbags, you will definately not want to disable them, because if they go off, they may be the only thing between you and a tree with your name on it.

IP Logged
DaveP

Reply #3 - 01/11/3 at 08:13:13

This topic has been hotly debated for years, with no definitive answer. One particular concern has been the Navigator's clipboard, and flex light.

Try to catch up and question Alasdair or Sandy Roberston. They had an off in the OWR a few years ago, and as I recall, their airbag deployed.

Dave

IP Logged
Richard H

Reply #4 - 01/12/3 at 00:58:30

Yeah, I was originally concerned about that too, so I made sure to install the TerraTrip and Flex Light out of the way of the Airbag. The only thing left to worry about is the clipboard, which my navigator knows enough to throw to the floor at the sign of serious trouble!Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print