Send Topic Print
TSD Winter Speeds (Read 3536 times)
Brian_H
YaBB Newbies

Born Scooby Wild!

Ontario
TSD Winter Speeds
11/29/2 at 11:40:32

So far, except for the MLRC rally school rally last year, I haven't driven a winter nav rally yet. What I'm most curious about is the average speeds that might be suggested for sideroads, townlines, backroads, that don't have posted speed limits.
I understand the government sees these roads as being 80kph, but do rally organizers keep it that way in the winter? (72kph) I'm sure with some gravel twisties in the snow, it would be a real challenge to maintain a speed like that.
Can organizers simply choose the average speed for those roads based on the risk, instead of using 72? If it has to be 72, I'm going to go get some practice... Smiley

Toronto Subaru Club Member
Chief Control Marshal - 2002 Voyageurs
TSD Rally Driver
KWRC - Competition Director
Performance Rally Enthusiast
(WRC/SCCA/OPRC)
Looking forward to some snow surfing!
  IP Logged
John Vanos

Re: TSD Winter Speeds
Reply #1 - 11/29/2 at 12:23:44

Brian, looking at last years route for the Ontario Winter Rally the speeds would average in the high 60's on the backroad stuff.  But, this year I belevive they are going to reduce the speeds a tad to try and keep the possibility of an incident to a minimum.  In either case they are still fairly brisk!

John Vanos

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Re: TSD Winter Speeds
Reply #2 - 11/29/2 at 15:57:23

I have organized both winter and non-winter TSD's. It always come down to a judgement call. Even in summer, if I think the roads are too twisty or the event is running on a Saturday afternoon when local traffic is likely, then I will use slower speeds.

The RSO 90% speed rule is an upper limit, not a mandated speed.
It also depends on the instruction type. If the instructions are simple drivex type, so that there is much less chance of getting lost, then my tendency is inch the speeds up a bit. If the section instructions are tricky and depend on the navigator and driver making judgement calls on the fly (eg counting roads) then I will go with slower speeds to allow them time to do that work.

Determining speeds for winter is always tricky because road conditions can change overnight and I tend to lay out a route about a month ahead of time. There's no guarantee on what the roads will be like a month ahead of time.

If you're going to enter winter TSD's, don't skimp on tires. Always be prepared for the worst conditions. And don't drive over your head. If you feel you're not keeping up, no big deal, there are likely lots of others in the same boat. But going out and driving on concession roads with snow and ice on them is a smart thing to do if you get a chance to do it much in your daily driving. It's good to be familiar with the conditions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print