Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MLRC Rally Sprint - 2015 (Read 6338 times)
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

MLRC Rally Sprint - 2015
04/19/15 at 09:00:24

This is to help people start thinking about these events.  Keeping in that the CARS ruleset on Rally Sprint is a guideline on the general safety aspects of the event, and Rally Sport Ontario has not created a series with rules governing these events in the region yet what you find below should be assumed to be valid for the MLRC event only.

If you have any further question post them below and I will include the question and answer in the FAQ or send an email to rallysprint@mlrc.ca.

This will also be a living document for the foreseeable future and will can and will change frequently.

FAQ

Section 1 - Rules and Regulations

1) What is a Rally Sprint?

The Rally Sprint rules were updated last year by a CARS committee (CARS NRR Section 29) and allow for logbooked rally cars and cars that are prepared to a lesser level under the Rally Sprint Regulations.  Rally Sprint must be a maximum of 35KM in total stage length and must not have vehicles exceed an average speed of 80km/h. The Rally Sprint rules allow for competition vehicles to not need valid plates and insurance where the event can run all stages, transits and services on closed and controlled roads.

The idea behind a Rally Sprint is that it provides a middle step for competitors between Rally Cross and performance rally. As such the event will be run more like performance rallies to provide the competitors with more of that experience.

Rally Sprint are fully licensed Region and CARS events and run under ASN insurance the same as an other CARS event in Canada.

2) What can I use for a car?

All vehicles must be based production closed body and chassis and be roadworthy. They must also comply with the NRR 29.3.2.

3) Do I Need a Roll Cage?

Yes you do although it does not need to be a full performance rally cage. Please see NRR 29.3.3e for details.  Roll bar padding is also required.

4) What about Helmets, HANS, Belts and Seats?

You will need all of those item. All normally certified rally helmets (as per 11.1.6) as well as Snell SA2000 are supported. All CARS supported frontal head restraints are allowed. A minimum of a 5 point harness is required, but the expiry is waived. Seats must be fixed back one-piece FIA approved racing seat, but like the belts their will be no expiry.

As with all safety devices they must all be in good condition.

5) Do I need a Co-Driver?

Yes, yes you do...

6) What do I need to compete?

All competitors are required to have a minimum of a Rally Sprint license (Form here) or Regional/National performance rally license.  You will also need to have standard safety equipment in the vehicle such as fire extinguishers, first aid kits, tow straps, triangles, front and back tow points. Please the NRR 29.3.3 for mandatory equipment.

Section 2 - Competition

1) What vehicle classes are their?

To start with this the MLRC events will have 2 classes, 4WD and 2WD.

2) How are events timed?

Events will be timed much like a stage rally from a standing start to a flying finish. The quicker you go while staying on the road the better you do.  Depending on the event transit time may also be taken into account.

3) How are the events scored?

Currently we do not have a standard across but MLRC will be scoring based on the CAR and not the driver.  What does this mean? It means if a Driver/Co-Driver team want to switch duties mid event then scoring is done as team.

4) Why can we not score like a Rally Cross where multiple driver share a car?

It is simple an issue of logistics. In our Rally Cross you start and finish a stage in the same location.  In the Rally Sprint you finish the event 5km down the road and the return trip is a different stage.

5) Penalties

The supplementals for the event will outline penalties. Some examples would be hitting chicane, triangle violation, stopped vehicle violations, or missed stage penalties.

6) Wait you said a missed stage penalty!

Yes, we are allowing the ability to miss a stage a if you require time to work on your car outside of the provided service. The penalty will likely be stage slow time plus 2 minutes per stage missed.

Section 3 - The Events

1) Where will the events be?

MLRC is currently planning one event for sure in conjunction with the Black Bear Rally on Qwirk Rd. A second event is tentatively being planned for the fall on Lower Hasting road. Both of which are in the Bancroft area. The fine folks at PMSC are planning a Sprint to be run during the Galway Cavendish Rally in August.

2) What can I expect from an event?

These events will be run very bare bones in order to keep costs down. Service and registration will be field or roadside based depending on the event. We will have some awards for top class competitors. If you hungry or want a champagne spray I would suggest you arrange that yourself.

3) Speaking of costs what are we looking at?

We are still in the planning stages but for the MLRC events we are targeting between 200-225 per vehicle.

4) What does that fee cover?

That fee will cover off your event insurance, road damages, trophies, and any printing (such as route books or stage notes).

5) What about a series for the Ontario events?

Not yet. I am sure this is something that RSO will arrange in the next couple years.

Please posts any question/comments below or send them to rallysprint@mlrc.ca.

Derek.

« Last Edit: 05/24/15 at 21:24:29 by Derek Vincent »  
WWW   IP Logged
uglydogrally

Ugly Dog Rallysport

Ottawa
Re: MLRC Rally Sprint - 2015
Reply #1 - 08/17/15 at 09:53:05

Is there any word if the Fall event will be moving forward?

Matt W. - MCO
mattw482   IP Logged
Derek Vincent
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 08/18/15 at 08:25:48

Matt, Ross, Bruce and myself got on trying to organize an event for late September on the Monday after the last event...

Sadly the few potential weekends we had available to run the sprint conflicts with a busy fall RSO calendar...  While the I am note sure have a large overlap in competitors we do with the workers form Rally Cross and Navigational.

MLRC will be planning a number of Sprint events for next year stay tuned.

Derek.

WWW   IP Logged
uglydogrally

Ugly Dog Rallysport

Ottawa
Reply #3 - 08/19/15 at 14:05:17

Thanks Derek, looking forward to what guys have for next year.

Matt W. - MCO
mattw482   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print