Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bicycle Computers?? (Read 4160 times)
Anthony_T

Bicycle Computers??
04/17/3 at 20:31:03

I read about the possiblity of using bicycle computers in place of rally computers and I thought I'd ask who has had experience with them and what came of it.

There is no room in my car for a full fledged rally computer and the speedoneedle covers an entire digit of the tripmeter 80% of the time.

(I did hear about using a Topeaks Panorama once apon a time for a rally computer but I'd sooner experiment with a cheaper model if it's worth trying at all)

Suggestions??
Thanks, Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
RallyJake
YaBB Newbies

Always taking the
unbeaten path

Re: Bicycle Computers??
Reply #1 - 04/21/3 at 08:10:05

Hey,
Well we have used a bike computer.  All in all, it wasn't such a bad idea.  For 15$ it got the job done sort of speak.  Actually at one point we had two of them.  One for distance the other for average speed.
You do have to make sure that the magnet will stay on, ie. crazy glue it to the rim, and find a good spot for the sensor so it won't be knocked off the first time you drive the car.  Depending on the one you get you have to figure out how to set it for proper readings and how to adjust it with a given factor.  Not hard to do.
The only problem we experienced with ours, which was a CCM from crappy tire by the way, was that between 100km/h and 105km/h or so the display would flash and not register as many impulses.  So we either stayed above or below that speed to stay as accurate as possible.  Another thing might be that the sensors might overheat and be done with.  It seemed that mine lasted for a year or a bit more being constantly on the car and constantly driven.  I guess it depends on the use.
Cheers
Jake

IP Logged
OWDLVR
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 04/22/3 at 08:37:27

We used three bike computers all wired up to the same sensor for a couple of events in our car.  Two in front of the driver (average speed and distance displayed) and one in front of the navigator for distance).  

You can run as many computers as you want off of one sensor.  I ran my sensor off the rear diff, using silicone to attach a rare earth magnet to the driveshaft.  The next sensor I mount will be to the front diff, as I tend to spin those tires less.

I used a Trek computer, as it had the biggest display numbers I could find. The speed values went up by 1km per hour up to 100km/h.  Then the speed values went up by 5km/h.  If you can find some way old (6yrs) Vetta C10 or C15 computers, they'd be the best.

Advantages: Cheap. Reliable. (if you set it up right).

Disadvantages:
- Hard to read, you may think the numbers are big...but they aren't.  
- No backlight. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but they are tough to read. Annoyed the heck out of me. #1 reason why I wouldn't use them again.
- Difficult to re-set.  It's not impossible, but it ain't easy!  If I was going to use them for more then one event, I would've pulled them apart and wired in a larger reset switch (mounted elsewhere in the car).

HTH,
-Dave

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #3 - 05/05/3 at 21:35:43

Well, I can't find it, but one time I found a webpage that had a very good description of their bike computer installation and experience, on a road rally car.  I have recently searched high and low for that web address, and came up short.  It was a good webpage.  Jodie Shay in MCO had one hooked up, too, but had trouble keeping the magnets attached.
Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #4 - 05/06/3 at 21:57:58

I thank you for the input.  based on this and other info I took the experimental plunge and ordered the Topeak Panoram Bicycle computer to mount on the Miata.  
($66.99 from www.bikecanada.com)

It is a wide format computer (if you can use that teminology) which displays all of time, Speed and Distance at once (or Average speed, distance and time.. depending what you choose) up to 200KPH
AND
It has an Indiglo style backlit display.

I plan on making a permenant mount for the sensor around or on the caliper but leave the sensor itself easily removable + unplugable so as to not subject it to unnessary wear between events (which living in North Bay it can be a while between such happenings)

I'll let you know how it all works out.
If I'am lucky It will be done for the Discover Ontario!

Thanks, Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print