HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for oldies (Read 10334 times)
Stuart Gray
YaBB Newbies

Looking for oldies
12/10/14 at 06:23:34

Hi, I was Walter Boyce's co-driver on the 1973 and 1974 Rally of the Rideau Lakes, when it was observed for, and then in, the World Rally Championship. We got a win and a 3rd place.
I've recently been going through some old photos, press cuttings, (I covered the '73 event for the UK's "Motoring News") etc., reviving old memories and wonder if anyone has contact with Walter or Doug Woods (his regular co-driver, who was the Rallymaster for the Rideau Lakes)? If so, I'd be grateful for any news.
I assume that OVAC, the organising club, is no longer functioning.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Looking for oldies
Reply #1 - 12/10/14 at 15:31:51

Doug is on Facebook, I don't have an email but I'm sure you can reach him through here.

https://www.facebook.com/doug.woods.566?ref=br_tf

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #2 - 12/11/14 at 07:54:45

I would consider contacting St. Lac club - there may be members there that can help.

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #3 - 12/16/14 at 14:15:14

Stuart Gray wrote on 12/10/14 at 06:23:34:
Hi, I was Walter Boyce's co-driver on the 1973 and 1974 Rally of the Rideau Lakes, when it was observed for, and then in, the World Rally Championship. We got a win and a 3rd place.

I've recently been going through some old photos, press cuttings, (I covered the '73 event for the UK's "Motoring News") etc., reviving old memories and wonder if anyone has contact with Walter or Doug Woods (his regular co-driver, who was the Rallymaster for the Rideau Lakes)? If so, I'd be grateful for any news.

I assume that OVAC, the organising club, is no longer functioning.

That's right, OVAC no longer exists. Doug may have been a member of the Motorsports Club of Ottawa a few years ago, but isn't now. I remember him coming out to one of our early Lanark Highlands Rallies (the TSD version) and his daughter used to co-drive in OPRC events. I haven't seen either of them in quite a while.

How exciting that you were in two of the Rally of the Rideau Lakes!  Smiley You might like to know that we now hold an OPRC event on one of the roads used, Lavant Mill Road, and in 2015 are adding Umpherson's Mill Road. Our event will be held on May 2, 2015, with Rally HQ at McDonald's Corners. If you would like to come out and spectate, we would love to meet you! My husband is the organizer. I'm Jeannie at rosetta [at] magma [dot] ca.

Jeannie and Jim

IP Logged
Stuart Gray
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 12/17/14 at 03:24:48

Many thanks to all for your interest. I have now made contact with Doug Woods and have looked with interest at the Lanark Highlands Rally website - that would be quite a treat to see those stages in daylight! I'll be in touch.

IP Logged
Doug_Woods
YaBB Newbies

Quebec
Reply #5 - 01/05/15 at 20:28:12

As Stuart mentioned, we have made contact and updated each other on our lives.  When Stuart came over to rally with Walter Boyce, he had been co-driving for Prince Michael of Kent on road rallies in GB.  Since he was used to rallying with royalty, we told him that he would be co-driving on the Rideau Lakes for Sir Walter Rally.  Cool

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
"Canada calls for rally veteran"
Reply #6 - 03/02/15 at 11:23:07

Everyone, we are delighted to share the news with you: http://www.monmouth-today.co.uk/news.cf ... ly+veteran

In the 1973 international Rally of the Rideau Lakes, the winning team was Walter Boyce and Stuart Gray, from Great Britain. We knew that Walter and Doug Woods, his usual co-driver, were coming to the Lanark Highlands Forest Rally on May 1 - 2. But Stuart has also confirmed that he will be here to join us!

We will have a ceremonial start featuring these three Rally legends.

Don't miss the Lanark Highlands Forest Rally with a new road (Umpherson's Mill Road), more than 80 km of stage roads and rally HQ back at McDonald's Corners.

And definitely don't miss meeting our Rally legends!

Jeannie, for the LHFR organizing team

« Last Edit: 03/02/15 at 18:07:42 by Jeannie VE3JNE »  
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #7 - 03/02/15 at 15:27:28

Link fixed.

Canada calls for rally veteran.

http://www.monmouth-today.co.uk/news.cfm?id=25496

WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #8 - 03/07/15 at 17:24:46

Stuart intends to bring lots of memorabilia over with him. We'll have it on display at Rally HQ, aka the MERA Schoolhouse in McDonald's Corners. I'm also putting together a colour copy of the program for the 1974 World Championship Rally of the Rideau Lakes.

Best of all -- by a long shot -- we will have Walter Boyce, Stuart Gray and Doug Woods as our honoured Rally guests!

I hope lots of you can make it to MCO's Lanark Highlands Forest Rally on May 1-2! http://www.lhfr.ca/

Jeannie

IP Logged
Stuart Gray
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 05/07/15 at 11:03:43

Well, it happened! I did indeed come over to spectate on the LHFR; I met Walter and Doug and we flagged the cars away at the ceremonial start and stood by the winners for the posed photos at the end. Many thanks to Jeannie and Jim and their colleagues. We'd got some publicity for the event but I think they deserved more.

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #10 - 05/07/15 at 11:25:09

Stuart Gray wrote on 05/07/15 at 11:03:43:
Well, it happened! I did indeed come over to spectate on the LHFR; I met Walter and Doug and we flagged the cars away at the ceremonial start and stood by the winners for the posed photos at the end. Many thanks to Jeannie and Jim and their colleagues. We'd got some publicity for the event but I think they deserved more.  

Stuart, the pleasure was ours!

Our goals were to create an event that the drivers would find fun and challenging and get some good competition going; try to make sure the workers would enjoy volunteering; and top it off with something special by having you, Walter and Doug there.

Re publicity, well we did what we could. The Ottawa Citizen didn't bite but we've had good support from The Lanark Era. I submitted a story this morning which will be in the May 12 edition. We also spread the word on Facebook and on the LHFR website.

I've never been to an event where all the teams finished -- except for the one poor soul who was called back to work!

This was Jim's first time organizing and it was like creating a new event, with the new road and approvals needed from the township. It was very busy for us, but well worth it. We raised more money than expected for the Food Pantry, plus lots of boxes of food which are really too heavy for me to carry easily (this afternoon's tasks are to deliver them). Just as well I've been working out!

Thank you to all who came to our event to compete or work, and special thanks to our Rally legends -- especially you, Stuart -- coming from WALES!! We created memories that many of us will treasure for a very long time.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #11 - 05/15/15 at 09:46:14

If anyone would like to see a photo of Walter Boyce and Stuart Gray, please visit www.mco.org. Go to the Rally forum and look for Ferd's story on the LHFR. It's at the top of the page.

He's posted in-car video and a story for each stage. The 2WD winners invited Walter and Stuart to pose with them. Now there's a photo to treasure!  Smiley

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print