Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
10 Years of Rally (Read 9598 times)
Bruce VA3BRS
YaBB Moderator

Scarborough
10 Years of Rally
10/05/14 at 15:12:47

I just realized that while going a box in my room that I have been working the Tall pines and various rallies for the last 10 years ( oldest worker badge is 2004  for the Tall Pines )  Grin Grin.
I would like to thank all who have helped introduce and teach me this GREAT sport, especially Trish Groom who mentioned to my brother one day while working on their Jeep " you should volunteer for the rally instead of just watching it, you get to watch it from better locations then everybody else ".
This also got me thinking, how long have you all been working / volunteering at rallies for.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: 10 Years of Rally
Reply #1 - 10/05/14 at 17:39:19

2001 Voyageurs was my first rally working, in the morning alone with an ex and then in the afternoon we were placed to help out Martin Loveridge. I had to get my HAM license ASAP after that, what a difference knowing what was going on! I'd spectated a few rallies before that, including Pines 2000, but knew I had to get into volunteering to get out of the spectator areas.

Defi 2005 was my first time codriving, for John. Full national with pace notes was a big step for a newb!

Galway 2010 was my first event driving.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #2 - 10/05/14 at 18:22:21

I spectated a few of the old Rally of the Voyageurs when it ran out of North Bay. Saw Doug Sheppard in a Daytona, the Sprongl's in an Audi and some guy in a Mustang that had knocked off the exhaust and was sideways even on the straight! Someone told me that it may have been Sylvain E. I had seen them up in Temagami (Red Squirrel Lake Rd), north of Sturgeon Falls and servicing in Temagami.

My first year as a volunteer was 2000 Pines. I was living in Kingston at the time, I was going to spectate and went to the website and fell for the, "why not volunteer".

Went to the work day. Meeting place was the old Town yard (where the Shell is now). Some young guy pulls up in a puke green Toyota Tercel by the name of John Vanos.

Haven't managed to get in a car yet, but its on the bucket list. Excited to see what the new rules for Rally Sprint may be!!!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #3 - 10/06/14 at 11:00:57

I did it backwards.  Wink Learned how control zones work by volunteering at GCFR 2003, then ran Targa Newfoundland 2003 with Jim in the Bald Head Racing Impreza (# 908). (I first met Ross Wood as he had to give his permission for me to drive; drove Gander North!)

Was hooked and volunteered at my first Tall Pines in 2003. My one and only rally driving was GCFR 2012, but have driven co-driven and drove course cars; also became a Steward and got my HAM licence.

Have spent quality time this morning listening to Group B rally cars. I love this sport!!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #4 - 10/07/14 at 11:45:30

First Mini-Rally TSD and ORRC: 1987

First time at Pines: 1991

IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 10/07/14 at 13:00:11

Helped on my first Tall Pines 1984 or 85 A spectator stage ran on Kelly Dunford gravel pit near Lakefield. I belive I have attended every Pines since generally as a worker. From TC to Senior Steward.
Competed once as co-driver with a major double barrel roll at Castledine Corner. Did the co-driver job once more at BBR with same Guy and that was enough. Two othe Co-drivers -just realised both are dead now-ran with same Guy and experianced roll overs.
I should have ran with another driver and just maybe I could have occupied the right seat for more events over the years
Having been involved with Rally for 30 years I have thank all those who have and continue to have a great time

Pete G
  IP Logged
jfitz
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 10/19/14 at 19:27:43

I spectated the Pines for the first time in '05. WRC coverage was getting sparse on the TV so I sought out somewhere to watch it. I had no idea there were so many events in Ontario. I'll spare the long romantic version of the story but the Pines is the reason I'm married today. I figured if a woman will stand outside with me and watch rally cars speed by then she is worth marrying. Started the volunteering thing in 2007. Very grateful to have met you all.

Justin

Justin
  IP Logged
GuyLePop

Reply #7 - 10/19/14 at 22:29:57

I watched the rallies on TV, but being from Nova Scotia, I didn't really have any chance to go see any of them in person.  Then when I moved to Ontario, i suddenly realized that yes, I am now close to the Rally Of The Tall Pines, I should head out there and watch.  that was 2004!

That was the year I saw my very first rally in person.  I went to the rally with my two friends Dan (Dan^2).  Neither of them knew anything about it, but I convinced them to come.  We partied quite hard the night before, so I think I only got to HQ around 10.   Anyway it was first service and quite a few cars were out already, which made it slightly disappointing.  Sitting in the dark on Castledine's Corners and then suddenly you hear the noise then the horizon lights up like the sun, its quite the sight.  Since then I have obviously been hooked.

Guy

VA3GUB
Rally Co-Driver
RallyCross
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #8 - 10/20/14 at 11:53:56

Haha Dave, I recall that day very well!!  The tercel was pegged most of the time to keep up with the best road sweeper there is, Ross in the duallie!  

I was dragged out to spectate swift rapids in 1999 I think, by some guy named Alan Ockwell and his brother Erik....I wasn't really that keen on the idea but I had nothing better to do so I went.  

First car I saw on stage was Barry Latreille in the ludicrous Talon.  He went off on the outside of the corner and sort of pirouhetted where I was parked (about 1 m higher than the road was), he put it in first before he even landed and dumped the clutch as he did, which just sprayed my car with all sort of debris and sped off into the woods, then it was quiet again.  That one moment sealed it for me, I had to do that!

The next year I went to Tall Pines to spectate then started volunteering from there.   Ive been fortunate to meet many great friends in this sport and I am constantly amazed at how many good people we have working to make the sport a success along all avenues.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
KDeV

Trenton,ON
Reply #9 - 11/07/14 at 10:58:10

My first time spectating was '08.  Parc expose with Ken Block & Dave Mirra parked side-by-side waiting for the start, being able to wander through the paddock at a motorsports event, I was pretty impressed at the time. Then out to Iron bridge with the throngs of people parking in some field I'd wondered what I had got myself into. Needless to say, Antoine's Tiberon and Pat's Impreza slinging gravel eliminated all doubt.

2 more years of spectating then I figured if I'm coming up anyway might as well volunteer, tried convincing the buddies I was spectating with to work too but still haven't won that battle. Worked Pines '11 and jumped right in. HAM licence and a pile of RSO events. Left the confines of Ontario this year for Perce-Neige and Mt. Washington. I even risked bringing the girlfriend along to New Hampshire and managed to pique her curiosity and she's not normally one for motorsports. She even tagged along to Bear...maybe Fitz is on to something.

KDeV KDeV   IP Logged
RedRocket
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 11/15/14 at 15:17:02

This'll be my 10th year in a row. 1st year did security at HQ and didn't see a kilometer of rally but did see the cars come and go (2005-lot of snow that year).  About the next 4 years did FF with Bennett at middle Hastings (plus other stages).  Have now graduated to going where ever I'm needed. Highlight had to be as DSC for Egan creek in about 2010 with #2 son, his friend & father (who still come). As I'm getting "up there" I recently got my Ham licence (thx Bennett) and am enjoying that tremendously and  I still mostly enjoy starts or finishes. Also have done 3-4 Perce Neige, 1xBB, 2xLHFR and this year my 1st Defi (w/Ross). I like to thank many of you who have done this longer than me for helping me perhaps become one of you. Oh BTW I'm Mike and call sign is VA3NMR.

IP Logged
Slowpoke

Tow trucks scare me.

Reply #11 - 12/22/14 at 15:39:44

I did my first TAC Mini Rally in 2006 and made Alexei nauseous dodging frogs.  Yeah, it was the frogs, not my driving style.

Then Craig Seko was kind enough to navigate for me at the last Drive-Ex in Ontario.  "What do you mean people buy gravel tires for TSD rally?"  I was hooked.  Four cars off that night, Leo ran out of fuel, and I happily finished in the mid-bottom half of the pack.  

First time I volunteered for a rally was I think when Trevor and I first organized the First Frost Navigational rally while we were still novice competitors.  That was  an experience. Roll Eyes

I got my HAM license BEFORE volunteering at performance rallies and I enjoyed listening to marshal chatter during the Polar Bear Rally while I was competing.

First Performance rally was DSC at Black Bear last year, then Car 0 at Galway, then 000 at Pines twice now.  I must say.... I've been lucky and do like being a course car vs. DSC.  The road dust from TC's mess badly with my sinuses, and a cabin air filter sure helps.

Stephen

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print